Thursday, August 19, 2004

Wanda Jackson-Funnel Of Love

Carl Perkins-Daddy Sang Bass


I'm in a rockabilly mood today and I rock a quiff frequently so it makes sense to post some tracks in this vain. Wanda Jackson dubbed the 'first lady of rockabilly' is still making music and is now apparently 'a grand lady of country'. This classic is from 1962 and as with yesterdays post it's all about Wanda's great distinctive voice. Visit Wanda's site. Carl Perkins was undoubtably overshadowed by a certain king, he recorded the original 'Blue Suede Shoes' but it was Elvis that had the bigger hit with it and he never quite got the fame that might have been coming to him. Daddy Sang Bass is pretty honky-tonk and it charms my socks off with its fresh faced jolliness even though it's essentially about death. I'm pretty much able to ignore the religious side. It may just be me but I reckon that it could be sampled and used to lethal effect in a hip-hop song.



Tindersticks-Traveling Light

This is by far my favourite Tindersticks song it's taken from their 1995 album Tindersticks second album and if you don't know this band and their quiet menace you should pick this album or the anthology Donkeys 1992-1997. I'd love to get hold of some of their early limited 7" if anyone's got some they're looking to get rid of, they were packaged in the simple beauty of a brown paper bag.


A plethora of new links and fresh sidebar clicks to come in the next few days.


Crayola colour CD project is nearly full so get signing up.. details below.



Still Runnin...


Crayola crayon colour cd project

Basically the idea is that I send a CDRW to someone it will have one song and a custom cover with a drawing in my favourite crayola crayon colour. The person it is sent to then adds a track to the CD and their own drawing on the cover in their favourite Crayola crayon colour and sends it on the next person on the list and so on, eventually the CD and complete cover comes back to me, I then send everyone who took part a copy of the CD and complete cover art. So you need to have a CD writer and the will to take part in a nice little snail mail project Here is a collection of the colours of the crayons to give you an idea. If anyone fancys it leave a comment or drop me a line at zzz.www at gmail.com. Inspiration taken from the projects that go on at Nervousness.

14 Comments:

At August 20, 2004 at 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chorus of Daddy Sang Bass has been sampled before. In a They Might be Giants song I believe.

 
At August 20, 2004 at 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boat of Car is the they might be giants song it's in

 
At August 21, 2004 at 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda Jackson recorded for Motown? That's what the tags say on this mp3, which does indeed sound like a soul track, not rockabilly. Perhaps you have your Wandas mixed up?

http://herself_nyc.livejournal.com

 
At August 21, 2004 at 12:19 PM, Blogger Z* said...

Thanks for letting me know about They Might Giants sampling Daddy Sang Bass, I'll check it out.

Erm as regards to the other comment I am not getting my Wanda's mixed up but this was on a compilation which was part of a 5 disc set spanning years and genres of women in music more info here. The particular disc this was on is titled 'Shoop shoop, Motown, Get Down, Sister' Motown referred to some of the other artists on that disc. So no I don't think Wanda did record for Motown and yes this is a soulful song but as I said before she is the Queen of Rockabilly, but I don't doubt her soul. Sorry for the confusion.

 
At August 21, 2004 at 4:33 PM, Blogger Z* said...

You can also see this release in her discography

 
At August 24, 2004 at 11:20 AM, Blogger hillary said...

There's a nice cover version of "Funnel of Love" on the Jody Grind's _Lefty's Deceiver_. I'd never heard this version before, but I like them about equally, though Wanda's voice is much grittier than Kelly Hogan's.

 
At July 17, 2005 at 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to take part in the Crayola CD-RW project!!


alicaurusrex@hotmail.co.uk
- let me know.

 
At August 22, 2005 at 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shame you seem to have stopped blogging

 
At January 16, 2006 at 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post

 
At September 28, 2006 at 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://omrtljqp.com/bink/zrqc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://tbkalnpk.com/zjcq/tjdg.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At September 28, 2006 at 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At September 28, 2006 at 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://omrtljqp.com/bink/zrqc.html | http://mfiljhbq.com/whbk/upce.html

 
At March 19, 2007 at 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

currency trade

 
At January 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Blogger lance said...

male enhancement exercise didn’t work for me. =( x4 extender

 

Post a Comment

<< Home