Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The Jamaicans-Ba Ba Boom
(also known as 'Ba Ba Boom Time')
Removed

This glorious piece of rocksteady is from 1967 on Duke Reid's now infamous Treasure Isle record label. Duke Reid was right there at the beginning when Jamaican music was developing and he was a huge influence for many years on the Jamaican scene. Starting out from his wife's corner shop Reid began a sound system which due to the size gave him the nickname 'The Trojan' hence the label that later took it's moniker from him when Treasure Isle tracks were licensed by them. At first he was known for playing R 'n' B on a radio show, but as the Jamaican music scene began to grow into something with its own legs, Reid began producing local talent, the rest as they say is actually an incredibly long and dense history so I won't begin to try and cover it. I've yet to find a really good resource for reggae on the web so if anyone knows of any please let me know but I have found this fairly decent site relating to Reid. I found this track on a great compilation record that I bought really cheaply in Amsterdam a couple of years ago-it's the original Jamaican pressing too, it's not available anymore but there's some great Treasure Isle compilations you can still buy.



In Monday's post I mentioned that you should try and check out One Lady Owner and My Computer, well over at Fluxblog they have the My Computer track Vulnerabilia posted just yesterday so get over there and have a listen.

Lots of great DJ mixes here

Zero-G has relaunched as fat planet

Oldie (in blog terms) but goodie Losing my Edge returns and is posting MP3s as well their wise words.

A little bit weird and a little bit wonderful An Idiot's Guide to Dreaming also posts MP3s

New Indie guitar focused MP3 blog Six eyes





3 Comments:

At June 10, 2004 at 4:02 AM, Blogger Alan Williamson said...

Hey, thanks for plugging Sixeyes, my new blog.

 
At June 10, 2004 at 11:14 AM, Blogger CP said...

www.niceup.com is a good gateway to JA music.

Lots of links here as well:
http://www.reggaesumfest.com/reggaelinks.htm

 
At September 20, 2007 at 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently read about andy chester's (my computer's vocalist) new solo product and found their myspace page... they only had 14 friends, virtually none of the vulnerabilia worshippers know of his new project either, so i'm just spreading the word around.

http://www.myspace.com/goodneighbourmusic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home